Re: 2.6.5-1.315 + kudzu -- constantly re-detecting my Ethernet card

Mary Ellen Foster wrote:
Over the weekend, I decided to try installing the 2.6.5-1.315 kernel (from http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.6/) on my laptop, which is currently running a fully-updated FC1.

There were the normal 2.6 teething problems -- USB modules, /dev/input/mice, that sort of thing -- but things seem to be much better than the last time I tried a 2.6 kernel (e.g., no more kernel panics from my external USB sound card).

One continuing annoyance is that kudzu persists in detecting my Ethernet card (RealTek somethingorother; driver is 8139too) as a new one, and configuring it as "eth2" (eth0 is the real configuration of my card; eth1 is my wireless PCMCIA card). I found a thread from February that mentioned a similar issue, but I didn't see any resolution. Should I just disable kudzu and ignore the problem for now?

There were many fixes to kudzu since FC1, some of which were to hopefully solve redetecting problems. I personally have been plagued by seemingly random redetecting problems with my "airo" wireless networking device, but it seems to have improved with more recent kudzu versions.

I have no idea if the FC2 kudzu binary works on FC1. Try that first, if not try rebuilding the SRPM.

Warren