Strange Kudzu Behavior: Update

I now have the ethernet cards to the point where if all the ethernet cards are down an /etc/init.d/network start will start them with the correct names. I'm not sure how I did it, I think I deleted all the entries in system-config-network's hardware menu, then edited, then readded them.

I checked HWADDR in the ifcfg-ethX files and they are correct, as are the entries in hwconf now. However when I boot, it still boots up eth1 (PCMCIA) as eth0, then tries to boot up eth1 as eth1, which it can't rename it because the device is busy. I haven't been able to replicate this outside of a clean boot, every time I boot I have to "ifconfig eth0 down" (standard ifdown doesn't work because HWADDR is set and the wrong card is currently eth0). Then every time I use ifup, ifdown or init.d/networking it works fine. I also checked modprobe.conf, I can remove all kernel modules and do "modprobe eth0" and it loads the right driver and the right card is eth0. Here is the error from my boot.log

Apr 6 13:50:43 hostname ifup: done.
Apr 6 13:50:43 hostname network: Bringing up interface eth0: succeeded
Apr 6 13:50:43 hostname ifup: cannot change name of eth0 to eth1: Device or resource busy
Apr 6 13:50:43 hostname ifup:
Apr 6 13:50:43 hostname ifup: interface 'eth0' not found
Apr 6 13:50:43 hostname ifup:
Apr 6 13:50:43 hostname ifup: cannot change name of eth0 to eth1: Device or resource busy
Apr 6 13:50:43 hostname ifup: cannot change name of eth0 to eth1: Device or resource busy
Apr 6 13:50:43 hostname ifup:
Apr 6 13:50:43 hostname ifup: interface 'eth0' not found
Apr 6 13:50:43 hostname ifup:
Apr 6 13:50:43 hostname ifup: Device eth1 has different MAC address than expected, ignoring.
Apr 6 13:50:43 hostname ifup: cannot change name of eth0 to eth1: Device or resource busy
Apr 6 13:50:43 hostname network: Bringing up interface eth1: failed

Pyroman[FO]