Re: CVE-2021-4034: why is pkexec still a thing?

On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 1:05 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 02:21:19PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > My best recollection is that pkexec was kinda a kludge to allow us to
> > get rid of consolehelper: some apps weren't getting rewritten to the
> > Right Way of doing things under policykit, they still just wanted to
> > have the entire app run as root, and pkexec was a way to make that
> > happen.
>
> That sounds right to me too. I mean not "right", but what happened.
>
> I'd also love to get rid of the entire javascript configuration system.
> That's... more CVEs waiting to happen.

Some years ago, Ikey Doherty made a patchset to allow polkit to use
regular config files instead of JavaScript[1]. He did it in Solus[2],
but the discussion upstream petered out and nothing happened. Maybe we
could talk to Ikey about reviving it and integrating it upstream
finally?

[1]: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/polkit-devel/2017-October/000547.html
[2]: https://dev.getsol.us/T4824