Re: more newbie-friendly dual-boot instructions?

On Mon, 2020-12-07 at 19:28 +0100, Frantisek Zatloukal wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 11:40 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > I came across this question on Ask Fedora:
> >
> > https://ask.fedoraproject.org/t/problems-making-dual-boot-fedora-w10/10766
> >
> > where the person is having trouble getting Fedora Workstation set up for a
> > dual-boot-with-windows-10 environment.
> >
> > There's a paradox or irony here: this is one of the most complicated things
> > we might ask completely new users to do, yet also, new users just dipping
> > their toes are probably most likely to want the comfort of being able to
> > boot back to their old OS.
> >
> > Do we have better hand-holding instructions for doing this somewhere that I
> > could point this user to and which we could make more prominent?
> >

> I am not a bootloader/installer or UX expert, so maybe take my two cents
> with a grain of salt.
>
> Can't we have a button or dialog window offering "Install side by side with
> Windows" to users installing Fedora somewhere where there is WIndows
> already (or other Linux, but that might be more problematic)?
>
> That could automagically mount the ESP, shrink Windows part (so the dialog
> can contain a slider)...
>
> That would definitely lower a bar for novice users. Also, from what I
> remember, this sort of stuff should be safer on UEFI/GPT machines, so the
> dialog can show just there?

We already do, pretty much. That's what you get if you use guided
partitioning: you drag a slider to resize your existing main windows
partition, and anaconda deals with bootloader partitions etc. for you.
If that breaks it's a bug.

The person in the thread used custom partitioning, which, well, expects
you to do more stuff.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA