Supporting hibernation in Workstation ed., draft 1

Hi,

Fedora Workstation working group has been investigating the working
state of hibernation (suspend to disk) for about four months, and has
produced a draft status report on the findings so far. Present status,
impediments to support, and importantly, the specifics of how to
address those impediments, are described.

This is a draft, to reflect on-going work in this area. It's intended
to be short and consumable. Suggestions welcome. I include the
synopsis below for better visibility and list search.

https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/blob/master/f/hibernationstatus.md

---

Synopsis:

The Fedora Workstation working group recognizes hibernation can be
useful, but due to impediments it's currently not practical to support
it. This is a recognition of the current state of affairs, but the
working group wishes hibernation could be relied upon, and thinks
there is a viable approach for limited support of hibernation in the
future. We encourage interested parties to pursue the needed
improvements. In the meantime, given that hibernation isn't currently
viable, the workstation WG decides that technical decisions will not
be constrained by it. Decisions about Workstation's 'out of the box'
configuration might conflict with the requirements of hibernation.
There are desired enhancements to performance and security that are
hindered by the status quo. The working group will re-evaluate when
the significant impediments have been adequately addressed.

We will support an install time means of enabling hibernation retained
via Custom partitioning. If the user chooses to create a swap
partition, the installer will include a resume=UUID kernel parameter
hint so that the kernel can find the hibernation image.

--
Chris Murphy