Re: Blocking on user switching: redux

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 11:13 am, Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So, once again: do we think it makes sense to consider desktop user
switching - that is, switching between multiple active desktop sessions
for different users, without logging out and in - as release-blocking?
Has anyone who was active in the previous discussion changed their mind
on this?

In the past five years, quality has generally gone up across the entire desktop, and Fedora's reputation has benefited accordingly. Maybe we had bigger issues to deal with back in 2015 and focusing efforts on single-user systems was a reasonable decision when deciding which bugs we'd have to live with and which we had time to fix. Nowadays, user switching has been working well for a long time, so we should probably not break it. My opinion hasn't changed: user switching is basic desktop functionality and ought to continue to work reliably for most users; even if we optimize for single-user systems, we don't want multi-user to be busted to such a degree that it brings down our reputation for quality. (Of course, as in any blocker decision, human judgment should override. If there are bugs in obscure corner cases, of course obscure corner cases should not be blockers.)