Re: f32-backgrounds available for testing

On Fri, 2020-03-06 at 09:02 -0800, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Hello team,
>
> f32-backgrounds is available for testing on
> https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2020-ed62604eca
>
> For the Design team, new change is the drop of standard, normalish, tv,
> tv-wider folders in favour of a single wallpapers (aside the time of day
> theme) using system settings thus tremendously saving space.

The rebase of fedoradesign/backgrounds (the upstream that becomes f32-
backgrounds downstream) to 32 was also quite badly broken, I think.
I've sent a PR that I hope fixes it properly:

https://github.com/fedoradesign/backgrounds/pull/18

firstly, there were lots of '31's that weren't changed to '32's,
including in the XML files used by both KDE and GNOME (of course they
don't use the *same* file, that would be too easy). Secondly, the GNOME
XML file was not updated at all for the change you mention above
(dropping the aspect ratio variant files) - it was still pointing to
those files even though they don't exist any more.

Consider this my annual reminder that this whole desktop background
setup is awful and ridiculously prone to errors like this. It *never
works* for a person to manually make all these changes to two separate
upstreams and five separate downstreams (f**-backgrounds, desktop-
backgrounds, kde-settings, fedora-kickstarts, fedora-comps). It is
*always*, *always* done wrong and needs to be fixed, and it is *never
ever* co-ordinated well between all the moving parts.

Aside from the overall design being awful, the implementation really
really needs to not be manual. Why is there not a script that makes all
the changes? Why do the upstreams not contain test cases that check
that all the things that should be touched on a version rebase are
actually changed?

Grunt work like this is awful and never done right by humans. It should
be done by robots.

I can't find the ticket where I went nuts about this before any more,
but I've been saying it for a while :P
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey