Re: Where is the Troubleshooting Menu Contents in Fedora 31 Installation Media

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 6:41 PM Alan Feuerbacher <alanf00@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't know if this is the proper list to ask about this, but there you
> have it.
>
> I somehow damaged the /boot partition of my Fedora 31 installation and
> have tried to use the Troubleshooting tools on the installation media.
> But the only option in Troubleshooting ---> is to boot into a Graphical
> Session, rather than to select a troubleshooting tool.
>
> What happened to the troubleshooting tools?

Live media don't have the "Rescue a Fedora system" option. That's on
netinstall/DVD media.

But also I'm not sure what troubleshooting tool you're looking for?
The "rescue" option on netinstall/DVD translates to inst.rescue option
for anaconda, which launches the installer in rescue mode, offering a
shell, or to mount and assemble a Fedora system per its /etc/fstab. If
/boot is failing to mount during startup, it'll fail to assemble with
the rescue option - granted, you can easily run dmesg to get a hint
why it's failing to mount, whereas during startup you're kinda stuck.

If /boot is ext4 then you can boot with parameter 'rd.break=pre-mount'
and run fsck from the initramfs.

e2fsck -fvn /dev/

That'll show what the problems are without repair. It's a little
handier to run fsck in the Live session, because you can copy/paste
the output, in case you want to have someone sanity check things
before committing to the repairs. Or to reformat it if you've got a
backup of the contents.

--
Chris Murphy