Re: bug, gnome-software is recommending non-free software

I'd make this first on our agenda for tomorrow's meeting....

On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 2:22 pm, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stumbled upon this bug report and I'm not sure how to respond to it;
and whether it relates to
https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/108

It's really an entirely separate issue. Nothing in #108 should be taken to indicate the WG has approved advertisement banners recommending proprietary software applications. (It hasn't.) I think we have a consensus that we want it to be easy for users to find software that they are searching for (so it would be nice if a user searching for Dropbox finds Dropbox), but actively advertising proprietary software seems much more controversial. It's unclear to me what the benefit of doing this is.

It looks like these banners are curated upstream [1] and added in [2], so it's nothing to do with Flathub. I see Slack there too. When displayed in GNOME Software, the Slack logo is programatically overlaid onto the advertisement banner, which I assume we did not get permission from Slack to do. Seems this doesn't happen for the Dropbox banner.

These are new in F31 btw, so older Fedoras are not affected.

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-software/tree/master/data/assets
[2] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-software/issues/749