Re: flatpak local storage location

On 2019-10-30 11:29, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 10:33 AM Michal Konecny <mkonecny@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I recently hit something similar on Silverblue. I installed Silverblue when F28 was available and installing flatpaks without the --user flag.
I'm pretty sure the default is --user since before Fedora 28. Very
early on the default was --system.
This is strange, I installed most of my flatpaks through GNOME Software and all of them are in /sysroot/ostree/deploy/fedora-workstation/var/lib/flatpak, which I suppose looks like --system flag.

I'm usually splitting my drive to small root partition (50 GB) and rest is for the /home. So right now, I'm running out of space on /root because the flatpaks now takes over 20 GB themselves, together with ostree image and some other things it's taking almost all available space.
That's also a little strange to me because the default Silverblue
partitioning is two volumes: a small sysroot, and the rest is /var.
And /home is really /var/home. So whether you install flatpaks using
--system or --user, they end up on the /var volume, not on the sysroot
volume.

Did you use custom partitioning? Custom partitioning with Silverblue
has been fraught with peril since the start, but often if you manually
delete the /home mountpoint, and create a /var/home mountpoint
instead, that ends up working. But yeah, quite a lot of custom layouts
don't work, they blow up during assembly at startup time.
Honestly, I'm not sure, it was few years ago. It is possible that I did some manual partitioning.

Not sure if this should be addressed somehow. Maybe the default disk partitioning for Silverblue should be changed. The Silverblue should target users, who will work with GUI most of the time and there is no way to change default installation folder for flatpaks in GNOME Software.
I think --system should be the default, but only if /var and /home use
storage space on a single volume. This makes installed flatpaks
available to all users, which is the behavior I think most users
expect, rather than having applications installed and updated in
duplicate or even triplicate in the multiuser case.
I agree, the --system should be default, because most users expect that application is available to every user on the machine.

--
Role: Fedora CPE Team - Software Engineer
IRC: mkonecny