Re: flatpak local storage location

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 3:11 AM Matthias Clasen <mclasen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you have your disk carved up in particular ways, you can just create a custom
> flatpak installation wherever you need it, See flatpak-installation(5). You can of
> course bind mount things around behind flatpaks back, but I think a custom
> installation is cleaner and already supported.

I didn't know about flatpak-installations, seems useful.

> I don't think there is a need to set the default location for 'flatpak files',
> any more than there is a need to set a default location for 'rpm files'.

In the single-user system scenario it doesn't matter that flatpaks are
installed to $HOME by default, and it's probably preferred given the
default Workstation partition layout; but I think it's confusing in
the multi-user case, as a default, because those installed apps won't
show up for any other user. Not only is there no way to set a default
location, in the GUI I can't specify the system location on a case by
case basis.

Other than working through some partition ninjitsu, what are the
drawbacks to putting /var and /home on a separate volume (they would
share one), and then changing the flatpak default installation from
--user to --system ?

--
Chris Murphy