Re: Removing GNOME Videos?

----- Original Message -----
> Yes, I know it. And I only wanted to express my opinion, which I did. And I
> believe that the thread appeared here, because Bastien wanted to hear our
> opinions. Otherwise he would not have asked.
>
> The reasoning for my opinion is this: When people install Fedora Workstation,
> they want to use it right away. How would a newbie know, that there is
> Flatpak?

How does the user know that there is a third-party RPM repository that contains
the necessary codecs for the movie player to work?

> How does it go together with Fedora policy? We cannot ship codecs
> in packages, and we can ship codecs in Flatpaks? And if not, what is the
> difference then?

It's a Flatpak and it's from a third-party repository. Flatpaks from Fedora
couldn't ship those, RPMs from a third-party repository likely could.

> If Flatpak Videos is better than an RPM Videos, why not install that from
> Flatpaks in the default install then?

Because we cannot ship, or point to, potentially patent-infringing software
in Fedora.