Re: Any feedback about howdy

Hey,

On Thu, 2018-12-06 at 00:24 -0800, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> I recently packaged[1] an application named howdy[2], a bionic facial
> authentication similar to Windows Hello. Laptop like HP Envy x360 have
> an Intel RealSense Depth Camera[3] which are currently restricted on
> 640x480 resolution when running on Fedora 29 using amdgpu in my case.

So, I did have a quick look at howdy the other day.

The low resolution is normal, I believe. As I understand it, Windows
Hello and similar rely on the two separate flashes to create a 3D model
of the face. Windows Hello is actually specified to already work with
320x320 pixels.

Unfortunately, it seems that Howdy simply uses the image into OpenCV
for normal 2D facial recognition. While this approach is a lot simpler
and easy to implement, it is also quite a lot less secure.

> Will it possible to integrate on the workstation with some
> improvement?

I personally think that integrating it would currently give users a
false sense of security.

Benjamin