Re: encryption, partitioning, was: Workstation WG meeting recap 2018-Dec-03

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 1:20 PM Ray Strode <rstrode@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> hi,
> On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 5:48 PM Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > - GDM needs to know how to use single passphrases to both login and
> > unlock volume.
> Right now if you have autologin enabled, then GDM will use the
> password you typed at the luks screen to unlock the gnome-keyring in
> the user's session.
>
> It's something that I implemented a long time ago, but it broke after
> systemd changes and I didn't end up fixing it until fairly recently
> with the help of mcatanzaro testing.

It might be reasonable out of the box if the WG wants to assume a
single user use case with autologin by default. But I quickly imagine
what happens if the user changes their passphrase:
a. Is the new passphrase added to one of the LUKS key slots? If not,
the new passphrase won't work at plymouth on the next boot. User will
try the old one, which does work, but then autologin will fail, user
will try the new passphrase here which works. That's a bit schizo.
b. Is the old passphrase wiped from the proper LUKS key slot?  Is the
user warned? If no and no; then there's a window from the passphrase
change time, and next boot which might not be immediate, when the user
is likely unaware that their old passphrase is still valid for
unlocking the encrypted volume.

For what it's worth, fscrypt has some PAM integration. That might help
with both the multiple user case, and adding, removing, modifying
passphrases.

--
Chris Murphy