Re: Disable (or make configurable and default to off) suspend-then-hibernate behavior in GNOME-3.30

Hi!,
On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 3:45 PM Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Benjamin, Carlos,
>
> I'm mailing you 2 because you maintain g-s-d now.
>
> As discussed on the Fedora desktop mailinglist in the
>
> "system now hibernates automatically 3 hours after suspend ?"
>
> thread, the suspend-then-hibernate behavior is not really
> ready for mainstream use yet (according to the systemd folks).
>
> Also from a kernel pov all of a sudden using hibernate is
> a huge change and involves code paths which no other major
> distro has been using sofar.
>
> So we really need to disable this for Fedora 29. And as
> mentioned in the thread when we decide to enable this for
> a future release, it really needs to go through the changes
> process so that it is well document we are changing this
> and people will have a clue what is the likely culprit
> if leaving their laptop suspend for > 3h all of a sudden
> breaks.

FTR we've gone for hiding the option upstream with a compile time
switch, defaulting to off. Just released gnome-settings-daemon
3.30.1.2 containing the fix.

Hopefully we'll be able to revisit the idea in the future.

Cheers,
  Carlos