Re: Disabling kernel's hibernate support by default, allow re-enabling it with a kernel cmdline option

On Tue, Oct 02, 2018 at 07:05:45PM +0200, Benjamin Berg wrote:
> [...]
> > > hibernate, if supported by the system, could be easily selected under
> > > the power menu in settings.

> > > I don't agree that the way we have been doing this is sub-optimal at
> > > all.  In fact, I think this proposed patch is the sub-optimal way.  My
> > > point is, new features, particularly with possible undesirable
> > > results, are often defaulted to off under a "tech preview" model.  The
> > > mechanism in the kernel is not new.  it may not work for everyone, but
> > > it has been working fairly well for those who it does work for.  Why
> > > would we change them when a piece of userspace (that some of them
> > > might never even use) wants to create a poor default policy?

> > > It really is simple. You don't cripple a mechanism so that you can
> > > install a bad default policy.  The kernel is providing a plain and
> > > neutral mechanism here. If people agree that the default policy is
> > > wrong, it is the policy that should change.  While I strongly feel
> > > that the default power behavior should not be hibernate, I also fee
> > > pretty strongly that it should be very easy to people to change.
> >
> > Ok fair enough. Keeping it easy for users to try out hibernate is
> > a valid argument.
> >
> > So that puts the ball back into the court of the GNOME devs, adding
> > Benjamin (g-s-d co-maintainer) to the Cc and I'll also ping him
> > on IRC about this.
>
> So, it still looks like we are at a bit of a dead end with this
> discussion. We know we need to disable the use of hibernation by
> default but where depends on how you look at the issue (is it a policy
> issue or are features falsely advertised).
>
> From a GNOME Settings Daemon perspective I am tempted to simply remove
> the feature again. There are two main reasons for considering this:
>
>  1. It would solve the pressing issue for F29.
>  2. The current implementation is incomplete and causes
>     inconsistencies for users.
>
> I only realised the issue with 2. when looking into it more because of
> this discussion. We currently have at least 6 reasons to suspend with
> different components creating the policy:
>
>  * lid action:
>    - systemd-logind
>    - gsd-power inhibits in some cases
>
>  * power button:
>    - gsd-media-keys: power-button-action
>                      gsd-power settings keys
>
>  * soft button:
>    - gnome-shell: hardcoded to suspend (logind call)
>
>  * user is idle
>    - gsd-power: sleep-inactive-ac-type,  sleep-inactive-battery-type
>                 gsd-power settings keys
>
>  * battery critical:
>    - upower: /etc/UPower/UPower.conf (defaults to hybrid suspend)
>
>  * screen blanking:
>    - gsd-power: hardcoded to suspend on tablets
>
> The patches that introduced the policy only made the change for the
> "power button" and "user is idle" cases (and "screen blanking"). In
> particular the "soft button" and "lid" cases are not covered, meaning
> that in many cases users will not actually suspend-then-hibernate[1].
Yeah, that seems quite inconsistent. I'd say "power button" > "lid" > "user is idle",
in the sense that events on the right should use lighter suspend modes.

> So, my proposal from the g-s-d side is:
>  1. For the *stable* release cycle, hide the new "feature" behind a
>     compile time switch, disable it by default and announce properly
>     in the release notes.

+1, even though a hidden setting key would be even nicer

>  2. For the unstable release cycle plan on finding a more consistent
>     solution to control the policy.
>     Whether this is user configurable or not could still be something
>     to discuss.
That'd be great too.

> I would be happy if the underlying CanSuspendThenHibernate and
> CanSuspend calls would not be advertising features that are unusable.
Working on it ;)

> My personal view is that it would be good if these calls were only
> advertising the feature if it actually works, but I also see how this
> can be hard or impossible to detect.
Yes, this is impossible in the general case.

> If systemd (or the kernel) is adjusted, then g-s-d may not need a
> change. But even then it may still make sense to allow disabling the
> new behaviour just to avoid the policy inconsistencies in the short
> term.
Yes, I think g-s-d should change too, even if systemd improves, since
it's g-s-d and/or user that sets the policy.

Zbyszek