Re: Disabling kernel's hibernate support by default, allow re-enabling it with a kernel cmdline option

On Tue, Oct 02, 2018 at 12:16:02PM -0400, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> [...]

This is mixing two things — userspace configuration and autodetection,
and kernel driver issues. The first is an easy problem (relatively), the
second is much harder.

Specifically:

> There's problems with:
> - not having enough swap space available at a particular instant
as you know, systemd looks at the current memory usage, and does not
advertise hibernation when not enough memory. So users might be
unhappy that hibernation sometimes stops being available, but otherwise
this is not a problem.

There's some heuristics here. I haven't seen reports where hibernation
would fail because systemd misdetected the amount of memory, but if you
see this, please report, and we'll try to adjust.

> - swap being encrypted and not allowing restore because the keys aren't
>   there anymore
This particular case is not detected, but we certainly should do this.
I'll put it on the todo list.

> - swap not being encrypted, which could leak information down the line
But that case also affect normal usage: if I have physical access to the
machine, I can just press reset, and after reboot extract anything from
swap. Hibernation doesn't change much here.

> - resume= not being there in the default parameters, so dracut needing
>   to rewrite the initrd before hibernation is considered done (?)
This is also solvable. Pull request [1] is upstream to check for resume=
presence, and I plan to backport this to F29.

[1] https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/10262

> If the drivers being broken were the only problem, then reporting bugs upstream
> for those drivers would help, just in the same way it helped for suspend
> 10 years ago.
>
> In my experience, the problem isn't so much with specific drivers, and
> more with the whole infrastructure, whether in the kernel, user-space,
> or a combination of both.
Yes, hibernation gets a lot of flak for non-kernel issues, like those
listed above. But those we can actually fix relatively easy.

Zbyszek