Re: Disabling kernel's hibernate support by default, allow re-enabling it with a kernel cmdline option

On Di, 02.10.18 14:34, Hans de Goede (hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Ok fair enough. Keeping it easy for users to try out hibernate is
> a valid argument.

This is just weird. Why would GNOME expose a button to regular user
that reads "hey, press me, please use this feature, but it's not going
to work, and nobody is going to help you with it or fix bugs,
kthxbye". That's just awful UI.

Quite frankly, this is quite ridiculous. GNOME is not the only user of
this, we shouldn't expose crap that doesn't work in the UI, regardless
what the UI looks like. GNOME has every right to assume that what the
underlying layers advertise works. And when it doesn't then the
underlying layers should stop advertising this.

If the kernel folks apprently are not willing to clean this up, nor
stop advertising its availability, then I guess we can mask this out
in the systemd RPM, but what a mess, now systemd.rpm suddenly becomes
the dumping ground for policy decisions when kernel code is good
enough and when it isn't, and when the kernel maintainers want to
support something or not.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat