Re: system now hibernates automatically 3 hours after suspend ?

Last I checked (few months), Fedora's kernels inhibit hibernation when
Secure Boot is enabled. That will limit testing to older systems, and
systems where users have disabled Secure Boot.

And also, the Fedora kernel team has been clear they don't have the
resources to triage hibernation related bugs in the kernel. On a
non-Secure Boot Macbook Pro, the hibernation image is corrupt 100% of
the time on resume, which fortunately the kernel detects and thus
rejects, but it slows down boot because it has to read kernel,
initramfs, and the hibernation image from swap, only to reject it and
then proceed with normal boot. And of course there's still data loss,
as the environment isn't restored.

I think supporting hibernation is a neat idea, but it's insufficient.
It's not going to solve most cases of environment state being lost.
And when it doesn't work, users have no idea how to troubleshoot it,
how to file good bug reports. The UX is vastly better saying "nope,
everyone is SOL" rather than a fractured user based, with variable
failure modes, and ignored bug reports.

So I'm gonna re-iterate that GNOME needs to support an application
state saving API. I don't know how good of a design it is, but Firefox
saves its own state and restores itself (usually). And LibreOffice has
some kind of autosave feature. That's what I'm thinking of, but
something standardized that all applications can opt into, to avoid
the problem of losing everything. This burden is placed on all iOS and
Android apps, they don't have hibernation and they don't have Save As
dialogs either.

Chris Murphy