Re: GNOME 3.30.0 megaupdate

On Wed, 2018-09-05 at 22:15 +0530, Parag Nemade wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 8:49 PM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

> > On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 11:12 AM Kalev Lember <kalevlember@xxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > As many of you know, I've been gone half the summer. I'm back now since
> > > Monday though and just in time for GNOME 3.30.0 :)
> > >
> > > We are quite a bit behind with the builds, like half of GNOME is still
> > > at 3.28.x or at various stages of 3.29.x snapshots, so there's quite a
> > > bit of catching up to do.
> > >
> > > I just requested a f29-gnome side tag and will be commencing 3.30.0
> > > builds shortly. When the builds are done, I'll try to collect all the
> > > builds in a single Bodhi megaupdate as usual. Please use 'fedpkg build
> > > --target f29-gnome' if you are helping with builds, and I'll pick up
> > > anything that is tagged with f29-gnome in koji.
> > >
> > > Dunno what to do wrt the ongoing freeze and getting final 3.30 in F29
> > > Beta, I guess it may be too late for that. Any opinions from QA here?
> > >
> > > There's also a few 3.30.0 builds already submitted separately into
> > > Bodhi. I may try to collect those to the megaupdate as well, not sure
> > > yet. Let's see how things go :)
> > >

> > I'd be *strongly* disinclined to give a Freeze Exception for a GNOME
> > mega-update. There's just far too much that could go wrong. Please plan to
> > land the mega-update in updates-testing once the Freeze lifts. U-T is
> > enabled by default on the Beta, so people will pick it up on their first
> > post-install update anyway.
> >

> Please don't stop this update. There will be few required fixes in this
> megaupdate which we need early to test.

There is a precedent for accepting this kind of update during freeze,
but GNOME is usually in a more organized state to start with (i.e.
we're usually going from something like an organized set of .91 builds
to an organized set of .0 builds), so I suspect the danger of
destabilizing the Beta is slightly higher. The earlier the update can
be put together, the less unhappy I'd be to accept it wholesale through
the freeze. Note that Go/No-Go is scheduled for next Thursday.

To make sure everyone's on the same page, if we do *not* accept the
update for the Beta, then by default those who install the Beta will
get it on their first system update after installing (as updates-
testing is enabled by default for pre-releases). Thus it will still
certainly be testable.

The decision to be made is basically "do the benefits of having the
3.30.0 builds actually in the Beta, in terms of making the live image
and first boot environment work better, outweigh the risks that they
will somehow cause issues for the compose process or contain undetected
critical bugs worse than those in the current builds". The more runway
we have to test the compose process and the composed artifacts, the
happier I'd be with saying the benefits will likely outweigh the
drawbacks.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey