Re: Release criteria proposal: installing / removing software

On Thu, 2018-06-14 at 11:48 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 09:56:07AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > > "The installed system must be able to install, remove, and update
> > > software with the default console tool for the relevant software type
> > > (e.g. default console package manager). This includes downloading of
> > > packages to be installed/updated."
> >
> > We already have a thread about exactly this wording problem. :P The
> > reason I didn't go for that wording is that it loses the 'appropriate'
> > concept, which is important and was specifically included. It appears
>
> Don't we also want appropriate software installed and removed?

It doesn't really...apply in that case. It's about the selection of
appropriate updates when updating.

> "The installed system must be able to appropriately install, remove,
> and updates software with ..." ?
>
> That just seems like filler — "appropriate" seems like it's already
> understood.
>
> Or do you mean "update, if an update is available"? Or "update to the
> latest one"? Or "update and not screw things up"? What _is_
> appropriate, anyway?

There's a footnote explaining that already:

"Appropriate means that the relevant update mechanism(s) for any given
deployment must apply the correct updates to the correct components,
and not apply incorrect updates. To give a specific example of why this
wording is included, there was previously a case where newer package
versions from modules were being installed as 'updates' to systems
which did not have those modules installed, only the package with the
same name from the non-modular system repositories. This would be an
example of 'inappropriate' updating that violated this criterion."

as explained there, we actually *specifically* added this wording
because there was a bug with packages from modules being selected as
updates when the modules they were from weren't installed, and we felt
it was best to have the criterion explicitly cover this kind of
situation.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey