Re: Fedora 28 minimum memory requirement, review

On Wed, 2018-03-21 at 22:30 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> For Fedora 27 it says this:
>
> Fedora Workstation to a laptop or desktop computer that has at least 1
> GHz processor, 1 GB RAM, and 10 GB space available

There's no 'review process' for this text, it just gets copied from
release to release. The fact that it's there is not really a guarantee
that the release *actually* worked in those specs.

I remember a few cycles back it still said 256MB or 512MB or something
and I noticed and jumped through some hoops to get it changed to 1GB.

So, as you discovered, it'd be better to actually *test* F27 and F28 in
the same ways and see how they compare.

openQA actually gathers some data on used memory, but unfortunately the
numbers for the F27 release are lost (I didn't have things set up
properly to protect release candidate results from garbage collection
at the time). Logs of installer memory use in the 'compose check
report' emails from 20171105 mention peak usage on the Workstation
network installer as 582MiB , whereas the number from yesterday's
compose appears to be about 850MiB. The peak usage is early in the run,
which I think indicates it's occurring during repository retrieval.

Combined with your numbers on PackageKit memory usage, that sorta
indicates to me that something down in the stack that both dnf (used in
anaconda) and PackageKit use is sucking up a lot more memory than it
used to. That'd be worth looking into in more detail, if you can (I'm a
lil' busy right now).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey