Re: Fedora 28 minimum memory requirement, review

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 07:07:12AM -0400, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> [...]
That depends. Sometimes you want the core on oom to diagnose a memory leak.
There are two different cases:
- a single program went awry and used all memory and was killed. After
  it is gone, the machine will be usable again. It's potentially useful
  to dump the core.
- the machine is generally starved for resources, and even after the biggest
  consumer of memory has been killed, there still is not enough.
  Dump of the core puts further strain on the system and should be avoided.

The question is how to distinguish those two cases.

Zbyszek