Re: Applications to Flatpak

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 4:00 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 03:52:06PM -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
>  * I'm not sure yet whether a "flatpak-shared-deps" module with
> dependencies built into /app is useful. The pros of it are:
>  - Things built in it will be shared on disk between different apps because
> of ostree deduplication. (But not when downloading via OCI.)
>  - Things that are hard to build (think perl, texlive) only need to be
> worked out once.

What are the cons?

The main con from my perspective is that it takes agency out of the hands of the person creating the flatpak. Instead of the simple proposition:

"If it's not in the runtime, it should be in your application module"

the flatpaker might instead be in a position where they get blocked because they decide some dep belongs in flatpak-shared-deps and have to wait for that to be resolved. It doesn't actually make things worse for the flatpak builder, but it could make it more confusing.

Owen