Re: First Atomic Workstation/WorkstationOstree update

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017, at 03:29 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 11:00:03AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > > https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/27/WorkstationOstree/x86_64/iso/
> > > Now that https://pagure.io/atomic-wg/issue/373 is fixed, the first update
> > > is available, i.e. you can `rpm-ostree upgrade`.
> >
> > Is there some kind of policy / plan about when and how often updates
> > will be shipped? Should/will Atomic Workstation follow the 'two-week
> > Atomic' process? Thanks!
>
> If we're going to use the Atomic brand for it, please, please, please
> keep as many things as similar as possible.

I don't think we can decouple the ostree image updates from the rpm-md repo updates;
doing so creates too many problems with package layering[1], and while a lot
of Atomic Host server use cases can avoid layering, I think it's a lot harder
to avoid for "pet" desktop machines that comprise a lot of the use case
that people mean when they say "I use Fedora".
(Of course for desktops the "computer lab" or "corporate standard laptop build" use case
 is probably more where one wants custom composes probably pre-configured;
 that's a whole story starting with
 https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree/pull/96#issuecomment-69592571
 leading to https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree/issues/442
 and https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree/pull/1039 etc.)

Anyways now that Bodhi has batches, I think it's really simplest to just match
that, and I saw some discussion to that effect on #atomic, so I think it's
being implemented.

[1] https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree/issues/415