Re: langpacks installation UX

Jens-Ulrik Petersen píše v Po 11. 09. 2017 v 20:02 +0900:
> Hi,
>
> Currently the handling and installation of langpacks seems suboptimal
> for Live installations:
>
> - `dnf install libreoffice-langpack-ja` (without weak/rich deps)
> - `dnf install langpacks-ja` (uses weak/rich deps)
>
> This was discussed a bit in the Flock "Fedora i18n" session.
> Some possible solutions include:
>
> - Include Libreoffice langpacks for major languages in Workstation
> Live

Does anyone know what impact it would have on the size of ISOs?

> - Do a post-install dnf/rpm transaction in an anaconda plugin via
> `initial-setup`

I'm afraid many users are not connected to the Internet during Live
system installation because nothing else requires it.

> - Make `gnome-initial-setup` induce a PackageKit command to install
> langpacks for the chosen language (seems tricky to make this distro
> agnostic)

This makes the most sense to me. If it's placed after the network setup
screen, it's very likely the system is already connected to the
Internet and it's still early on, so it's not very likely that the user
has come across any untranslated UI by then.

> - Make `gnome-control-center` install langpacks when switching
> desktop language.

Don't we need this anyway? For situations when the user install an
additional language? I think Ubuntu has it there as well.

> - Does `gnome-software` need any additional special support for
> getting langpacks metapackages installed? (It already has: Addons ->
> Localization)?

Jiri