Re: swap file instead of partition?

Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Reddit, someone asked me if there are plans to switch to swap files
> (as Ubuntu has) rather than making a partition by default. Do we have
> any such plans? It seems like a small manageability benefit with not
> much downside (other than, of course, the cost of changing things).

I think in the past, there was a concern that accessing the swap file
might itself trigger memory allocations from the file system, which
would be bad because at that point, you are already in a low-memory
situation.

I don't know if that's still an issue, though, and how much of a problem
it was in practice for non-network file systems.

Florian