Re: Our custom firefox useragent prevents Fedora users from watching netflix on Firefox

On Fri, 2017-04-07 at 19:14 +0200, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> Note that they do the same with Chrome where we have a Fedora user
> agent, too. The reason why it works is that we put a logic in the
> user
> agent extension which removes Fedora from the user agent for the
> netflix.com domain. We could do the same for Firefox, but I think
> it's
> better to solve this with Netflix.

FWIW, in WebKit we have a list of websites that we send custom ("fake")
user agents to. E.g. we send Firefox user agents to all Google domains.
We do not contact websites to try to get them fixed; it's a waste of
time, we just add them to our user agent quirks list. So if Netflix
doesn't respond soon, then I strongly suggest patching Firefox
similarly. I'm convinced it's impossible to make *any* change to the
user agent without breaking websites, so having such a quirks list is
going to be important for some other website sooner or later. I'm
actually surprised it hasn't caused any problems prior to now.

Michael