Re: Discussion about GNOME extenstions experience on Fedora Workstation

On 6 April 2017 at 00:54, Ryan Lerch <rlerch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Some of the Shell Extenstions from the GNOME website are available for
> download from the Software app in Fedora Workstation, but this only seems to
> be a small selection of what is available.

There's an open bug about this; but basically it's because you're on a
prerelease gnome-shell and the shell extension site is give us a
subset of results. Fix in progress serverside.

> * Many of the GSES extenstions in Software don't have screenshots, and their
> descriptions are pretty minimal. How can we work to make these better?

The ones from the extension site are pretty poor generally. After a
long period of not having an upstream maintainer we now have some
fresh blood so maybe we have some engineering resources to look at
this now.

> * A handful of the GSES ones that show in software are of questionable use
> for Fedora Workstation. Such as:
> https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1139/apt-update-indicator/

Can you file this as an upstream bz against gnome-software please; we
should have a mechanism to "block" things that just don't work.

> * None of the extensions that are in the repos seem to be installable from
> GNOME-Software. They just fail silently in the interface. For example in
> F26, i tried to install OpenWeather from the repos via Software, and it
> failed silently.

I'm away from my computer at the moment, but if you could open an
upstream bug with the --verbose trace I can have a look at it later.

Richard