Re: Atomic Workstation next steps

On Fri, 2017-03-03 at 11:30 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 03, 2017 at 10:21:56AM -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> >  * Run the entire Fedora Rawhide compose process out of a cron job,
> > like the Fedora Atomic Host compose. This would likely require us to
> > remove Rawhide from the mirrored set, but mirroring Rawhide doesn't
> > seem important - it is presumably a tiny portion of overall Fedora
> > bandwidth usage.
>
> I agree that separating Rawhide out of the main mirror channel would be
> relatively low-impact; it's a tiny fraction of the connections every
> day. We might want to offer a nightly snapshot on an optional mirror
> channel or something like this.

Well. I think that's over-simplifying by quite a lot, honestly. Where
are people who *do* run Rawhide going to get their packages from? Do we
just ship a fedora-repos-rawhide which points to a symlink to the
'latest' compose in kojipkgs, or what? If we do that, how do we test
that Rawhide dnf / PackageKit / etc. work okay with mirrormanager?

Out of the three proposals, TBH, this one looked like by far the
*worst* idea to me.

> >  * Run just the *workstation* Fedora Rawhide compose out of a cron job
> > - I don't know how separable one edition is from the overall process.
>
> Right now, it is very, very tightly coupled.

I don't think that's the whole story. We can't just decouple bits of
'the official Rawhide compose', no - a compose is a compose is a
compose, it's a unitary thing. But we *can* quite easily set up
different, concurrent composes, AIUI. It wouldn't be infeasible at all
to have a different compose profile which just built a much smaller set
of deliverables. This is, after all, basically exactly what the Fedora-
Atomic, Fedora-Docker and Fedora-Cloud composes we run nightly from the
last stable release are.

> > Goal 7 (future)
> > ===============
> > Have a "rolling stable" stream of Fedora that gets major updates not on
> > a six-month-tempo, but after those changes have seen testing in
> > Rawhide. We already treat the kernel like this.
>
> This overlaps a lot with work Adam and Dennis have been doing (see
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/NoMoreAlpha for part but not
> all). Have you talked with them?

I don't think we've discussed it, no. I think the focus is a bit
different: the NoMoreAlpha thing is about keeping Rawhide basically
functional, really, not about keeping it at a level of quality where we
 could call it 'rolling stable'.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey