Touch support

I have a touch screen which generates a plethora of event types
according to libinput-debug-events (including what seems to be
multi-touch events).  I can even see distinct events for the digitizer
pen.

However, further up the stack, all this is gone.  I don't get any
two-finger scrolling, for instance.  There is no right-button
emulation in Firefox, either.  I can still generate primary button
click events and (single-finger) drag events, but that's about it.

With Wayland, the pen appears to be completely dead.  With X, I get
some reaction to the pen in Xournal (some pointer indication moves),
but Xournal does not put any ink on the screen.

How can I help to improve matters in this area?

This is with current Fedora rawhide and the 4.9.9 kernel (4.11 seems
to have Wifi issues).