Re: Retiring xchat and letting hexchat replace it

On Thu, 2017-02-23 at 16:51 +0000, Debarshi Ray wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I have been thinking of retiring xchat from Fedora, and let hexchat
> take over as its natural replacement. Historically, xchat has been quite
> popular, so I thought I'd mention it here before removing it from the
> distribution.
>
> XChat is dead [1] and the last upstream release was seven years ago
> [2].  On the other hand, HexChat [3] has been a part of Fedora for the
> last four years, upstream [4] (CCed) is involved in both the Fedora
> and GNOME communties, and I learnt that the MATE spin already ships it
> by default.
>
> What do you think?

Fine by me, except for my one pet peeve. In my experience, hexchat
colors a channel orange when there are new messages but none with your
nick (or any other string you've nominated for highlighting). When
there's a message with your nick, it highlights the channel in green.
So, my mind tags 'green' as 'really gotta look at this'. Fine! But,
when you get a private message from someone, it colors the sender's
name *orange*, not green. This is driving me nuts because my brain has
tagged orange as 'meh, not really important', so I keep missing private
messages. And I can't find a preference to change this.

xchat used the same highlight color for 'nick mentioned in channel' and
'private message', so I wouldn't miss private messages in xchat.

Anyone else encountered this? Found an option to solve it?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey