Re: flatpak UI/Ux, was: Atomic (rpm-ostree+flatpak+oc cluster up) workstation

On Wed, 2017-02-22 at 12:37 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> It'd be nice if there were a direct download + install for flatpak
> applications. Either licking on the URL in Firefox causes GNOME
> Software to autolaunch and do whatever needs to be done (find and
> install runtimes as well as the application); or maybe an included
> webextension for Firefox that can do the installation.

If you go here, that is pretty much what you get:
http://flatpak.org/apps.html

There's still some polish that we need to do in gnome-software to make
this experience as smooth as it can be, but the basic functionality is
there now.

> At the moment I'm confused about --system vs --user installation
> locations. Somehow I have some things that are system and others are
> user. This is relevant because a system domain installation means
> it's
> the rootfs volume that takes the storage hit; where user domain
> installation means it's the home volume that takes the storage hit.
> And if runtime and application are split, then backup and restore
> strategy has to account for this split or it's possible the
> application ends up "broken" if the runtime is missing.
>
> My gut instinct is that the first user created by g-i-s should be an
> admin (in group wheel) by default. And when a user in group wheel is
> doing flatpak application installations, that by default they're
> installed on rootfs not in home, so that they're available for any
> user. I'm not super inclined to applications being stored in
> /home/<user>/.

gnome-software has a setting: install-bundles-system-wide, which
defaults to true. You will get a polkit dialog when you try to install
a flatpak. I don't think there's a need for making things more
complicated.

> A "neat" option would be a flatpak exported file that describes the
> system's flatpak state (all remotes, runtimes, applications) that can
> be imported into a clean system, and then ask flatpak to do the
> restore or whatever other command means "make it go" and then flatpak
> goes out and downloads and installs those items.
>
> Last, I'd rather not have to manage or even be aware of runtimes.
> Can't the application flatpak define what runtime(s) it prefers in
> order, and then go out and get them? This especially applies to GNOME
> Software which shows runtimes separate from the application.

That is what is done with the .flatpakref files that I've mentioned
above. The file provides gnome-software with enough information to
install not just the application and its remote, but also the required
runtime and their remote. Again, the gnome-software support for this is
still improving, but it all works with the commandline tools.