Re: Fedora Media Writer change is netting us great press

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 9:50 AM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-12-22 at 10:31 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> Thanks everyone — this was a great idea, great implementation, and it
>> is paying off. For example:
>>
>>   If you’ve never tried running a Linux operating system, this is a
>>   great time to dip your toes in the water. Total novices might want to
>>   try Fedora 25 because of the ease of writing the image to a USB stick.
>>
>>     — http://www.pcworld.com/article/3150765/linux/4-easy-linux-projects-for-newbies-and-intermediate-users.html
>
> Yep, I've noticed almost every article about F25 being positive about
> FMW too. Great work by everyone involved!

It is a testimony to simplicity.

I am wondering if there's a bit of a gotcha lurking however. The wonky
partition structure used by images once applied to a USB stick can
make them behave very strangely, and in a way a reformat or even
repartitioning won't fix. FMW has an option to wipe all of the
signatures that cause this and restore normal function, but it's not a
feature advertised at media creation time. You'd only know about the
feature upon inserting an already imaged stick.

--
Chris Murphy