Re: DNF and PackageKit background data usage

On Mon, 2016-10-31 at 11:55 +0000, Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 31/10/16 11:41, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On 30 October 2016 at 01:26, Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > 1) Both dnf and GNOME Software / PackageKit default to performing
> > > fairly data-hungry transactions in the background, out of the box,
> > > without telling you about it. GNOME's is particularly bad, as it will
> > > happily download available updates in the background, which can be
> > > gigabytes worth of data.
> >
> > If you're on an "unmetered" connection type...
>
> The problem, as I believe has been repeatedly explained, is that you
> don't really have any idea whether the connection is metered. Yes you
> may be trying to guess by considering things like 3G connections as
> metered but that is an extremely poor proxy for whether a connection is
> metered.
>
> It's not something that can be tied to connection types anyway. A wifi
> interface might be unmetered if I'm at home but metered if I'm in a cafe
> or hotel. An ethernet interface might be metered at certain times of day
> and not at others.
>
> The idea that you can programatically determine, using a simple
> heuristic, if a connection will be metered is just nonsense.

One of the bugs has a note I was not aware of before: there's actually
a DHCP value that can be sent by the server to denote a metered
connection. If that's actually widely respected, and set by phone wifi
AP applications and the like, it could be pretty accurate. Not perfect,
but better than heuristics. I've no idea how widely it's used in the
real world, though.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey