Re: screen lock shield

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 11:18:06PM -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> Proposal: invoke the shield screen even when the screen isn't fully
> "locked" yet, just in power save, to prevent keystrokes from being
> erroneously sent to applications when waking up the screen.

This would drive me batty. At home, I want my screen to go to power
save fairly quickly (to... save power). I am generally the only one
around, though, so it would be inconvenient for it to lock and require
a password. I do, however, have it lock after an hour, so that if I
actually go away, it's locked. (Were it an option, I'd make that four
hours, but, whatever.)

Hitting Shift will wake your screen without sending letters to any
application.

I do think the "just type on the shield and keystrokes are passed
through" encourages bad habits. I think it would be better to redesign
this so the shield and the login field are combined.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>