Re: hibernation support on the desktop

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 8:46 AM, Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 04/22/2016 09:14 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> If a hibernation image exists, there probably should be a best effort
>> to resume that image to avoid data loss. Right now there is no resume=
>> boot parameter option so if a  hibernation image exists it will not be
>> resumed. Should the lack of resume= boot parameter be considered a
>> release blocking bug?
>

> Resume has to be disabled anyway to comply with Microsoft's Secure Boot
> requirements, so I'm not sure if adding the command line parameter changes
> things for most users.

Fedora imposes that limitation in the kernel by choice, and I think
it's a good one. This has nothing to do with Microsoft requirements;
Windows in fact does do hibernation with Secure Boot enabled. So does
openSUSE, using their own patches for signing hibernation images.
These patches aren't upstream yet, so Fedora isn't using them, and
it's uncertain whether that will happen. I'd expect GNOME doesn't
offer hibernation as an option for critical battery power on these
systems and so they're out of scope anyway.

It's not a good argument that we should do nothing because most users
can't be helped. This bug is about helping the users who can be
helped, and are injured in the meantime.

This bug isn't about the dreadful state of power management on Fedora
where laptops are hot, have remarkably less battery life, don't have
fan controls, thermald isn't in the Fedora repository let alone
installed by default, and is objectively worse than literally every
body else: Windows, OS X, openSUSE, Chrombooks, Ubuntu, tablets,
mobile devices. At some point Workstation needs to get serious about
power management. The world has already moved past the desktop, the
laptop/ultrabook should be the dominant reference for Workstation with
desktop secondary rather than the other way around where laptops are a
distant second. I haven't used or owned a desktop in a decade, and
won't in the future. They're relics.

--
Chris Murphy