Re: Versioning Fedora-built xdg-apps and runtimes

On Thu, 2016-04-21 at 07:32 -0400, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> * How do we know what authorisations each application needs to be
> able to run properly?
>   How do we avoid applications overreaching and asking for access for
> things they don't
>   need, or silently failing to work because the xdg-app bundle didn't
> offer enough?
>
> If we're going to have to manually create the manifests to list
> those, what difference would it make compared to doing those in their
> respective upstreams?

In general, the desired end-game is that application authors take
responsibility for making xdg-apps available for their own
applications. These active and interested application authors are also
the ones I expect to take interest in modifying applications to take
advantage of sandboxing.

But what we're really targeting here is all the other applications -
how do we get an xdg-app available for bzflag or exmh without creating
a whole new packaging, security updating, etc, infrastructure going?

I expect mostly that the metadata will be pretty permissive - that most
of these apps will need access to $HOME, to the X socket, but
yes, we do need it there.

The approach I'm taking to metadata is to have a json file is to have a
stripped-down version of the xdg-app-builder json file, that can live
in dist-git along side the spec file. Attached is the one I used for
an initial build of eog; it would be nice if we could get it even
smaller without complicated boilerplate for DConf, etc.

- Owen