Re: atomic workstation status

> On Fri, 2016-04-01 at 13:07 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >
> > (For the innocent bystanders, we've decided to use fedora-desktop list
> > for development communication around https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cha
> > nges/WorkstationOstree , so you'll see some more or less mundane stuff
> > go by here - if you're not interested, just ignore it. Better than
> > chasing things via private mail or yet-another-list, I believe).
> >
> > Here's a first status update of sorts for the atomic workstation effort
> > (I'm afraid this name will stick if we don't come up with something
> > else soon, I'm already used to it).

> Can you please call it something like "rpm-ostree workstation"? There's
> quite a significant distinction between the rpm-ostree mechanism for
> constructing an OS, and the "Atomic host" concept. AIUI, *one* of the
> essential properties of an "Atomic host" is that it be built by rpm-
> ostree, but *another* essential propert of an "Atomic host" is that it
> consist of (or at least contain) a specific set of components, which a
> Workstation-on-rpm-ostree most likely would not. Quote:
>
> "The core of Project Atomic is the Project Atomic Host. This is a
> lightweight operating system that has been assembled out of upstream
> RPM content. It is designed to run applications in Docker containers."
>
> http://www.projectatomic.io/docs/introduction/
>
> basically it seems to me that the definition of an Atomic Host is at
> least "an OS built with rpm-ostree that includes systemd, Docker and
> Kubernetes", but 'lightweight' can be read as implying that it
> shouldn't include very much at all *beyond* that (which would mean a
> Workstation would not qualify).
>
> Unless this new Workstation effort is specifically intended to always
> meet the definition of an "Atomic Host", *as well as* being a Fedora
> Workstation, I don't think it should be called Atomic Workstation.

To argue with myself a bit, I suppose you could make the argument that
an "Atomic Workstation" could be another type of "atomic thing" - so we
would have "Atomic Hosts" and "Atomic Workstations". But man, that
sounds like it might get confusing...at least I think whoever gets to
decide what the hell "Atomic" means exactly (i.e. Project Atomic)
should probably weigh in on it, before anything else gets "Atomic" in
its name.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey