Re: RFE: Disable PulseAudio's flat volumes

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 7:34 AM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That sort of whiplash (disabling something 'temporarily' only to bring
> it back next release) is generally frustrating to all sides. The flat
> volume haters will rejoice when we turn it off now and upset when we
> bring it back later. The flat volume proponents will have the opposite
> reaction. And everybody else will just shake their head and think "they
> have no idea what they're doing".
>
> Since we've been living with flat volume's warts for so long, I would
> suggest to wait for the PA fixes.

Is it a PA fix that's needed, or is it the applications that need to
not default to asking for 100% volume? My understanding is with flat
volume, 100% application volume means 100% absolute volume, rather
than 100% of "system" volume, i.e. a relative amount.

Maybe some people would volunteer to show up for a volume test day, go
through the apps with a default installation and report apps with too
high default volume?

--
Chris Murphy