Re: Case against Firefox in FESCo

Rastus Vernon píše v Út 12. 01. 2016 v 00:09 -0500:
> Debian and other distributions (Trisquel, gNewSense, GuixSD) have
> used
> unbranded forks of Firefox for years and I don't think this has been
> problem for them. In any case I don't think we can call "drastic"
> something that multiple other distributions do.

Trisquel, gNewSense, GuixSD are not examples of particularly popular
distributions, so not really good examples how the change cannot harm
us. They target a pretty small user base which probably mostly
appreciate such a policy.
Debian is definitely more popular, but I still think our target
audience is a bit broader, reaching segments where Debian-based distros
are doing much better than Debian itself - Ubuntu, Linux Mint,...

> The Debian and GNU projects consider Mozilla Firefox as proprietary
> software because it does not meet the Debian Free Software Guidelines
> or GNU's definition of free software. Fedora didn't follow that
> stance.

Yes, it'd be a bit hypocritical of Fedora to claim this is something
bad since Red Hat does the same with RHEL.

> I don't think whether we're using a fork or not is important. It'll
> be
> just as up-to-date, just as well supported by websites, and would
> work
> like Firefox so habbit would not be a problem. The Firefox name and
> branding is a problem for Fedora (it prevents us from modifying the
> browser), not a benefit.

I disagree. As I already mentioned earlier in this discussion, Firefox
is one of the strongest brands in open source. Using artificial brands
instead of well-established ones won't do us any good as I think it has
never really benefited Debian. Normal users don't understand it and see
it as uncalled for.

Jiri