Re: Case against Firefox in FESCo

> Whatever the mechanism, the basic problem is that Fedora cannot ship
> any extensions by default. This may impact Workstation in other ways
> beyond simply the Firefox name: as I recall there have been
> discussions of having Workstation ship with a customized user-agent
> extension as well as possibly a theming extension. Neither of these
> will be possible because Firefox can no longer load it.
>
> (Some other useful additions might have been some of the privacy
> extensions; I know people were working on that).
>
> One alternative would be for us to switch to using Icecat as the
> default browser, possibly modifying the .desktop file to just report
> itself as "Browser". It is fundamentally the same browser as Firefox,
> except not bound by the "you cannot change anything and still call it
> Firefox" rules.

As Jiri mentioned in another email for Firefox we patch the code
to modify the user-agent. For Chrome, we use an extension, but the
way it works is that we submitted it to Google and then have it install
from there as opposed to ship it on disk. We could do the same for
Firefox extensions I guess.

Christian