Re: screen rotation

On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 12:17:51PM -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-12-02 at 16:29 +0000, Debarshi Ray wrote:
> > Hey,

> > > Last time I rotated my screen was yesterday, and that worked.
> > > Did you rotate it using xrandar or some other method?
> > > Totally worth filing a bug about it.
> >
> > I use a rotated (90 degrees) external display at work with Fedora 23
> > everyday.  It works for me.
>
> Screen rotation is not implemented in the Wayland compositor yet.

But that should not affect an X11 session, correct?

More info:

I have 4 displays, all rotated 90 degrees on a [AMD/ATI] Cedar GL
[FirePro 2460].  Two are direct mDP, two are via mDP-->DVI adapters.

Wayland works, but the displays aren't rotated (understood, since this
isn't supported yet), so I need to use X11.

For several releases now, I have been unable to use the Gnome Control
Center to configure these--there are several problems with the
Displays control panel.  You can't drag the monitors around and have
things end up correctly--it always leaves a blank space between
monitors you can't get rid of, which leaves a "dead" area of the
screen where no monitor is displaying that part.  In F23/Gnome 3.18
this problem still exists, and things seemed to have regressed even
further--there is no longer any way to rotate displays (perhaps
understandable given the lack of rotation in Wayland, but unfortunate
for people who need/want to use X11 and rotation).

So I've been using X11 with this file in my .config/monitors.xml and
also copied to /var/lib/gdm/.config/monitors.xml:

<monitors version="1">
  <configuration>
    <clone>no</clone>
    <output name="DisplayPort-0">
      <vendor>DEL</vendor>
      <product>DELL 2001FP</product>
      <serial>C064645L1F7L </serial>
      <width>1200</width>
      <height>1600</height>
      <rate>60</rate>
      <x>0</x>
      <y>0</y>
      <rotation>left</rotation>
      <reflect_x>no</reflect_x>
      <reflect_y>no</reflect_y>
      <primary>yes</primary>
      <presentation>no</presentation>
    </output>
    <output name="DisplayPort-1">
      <vendor>DEL</vendor>
      <product>DELL U2410</product>
      <serial>C592M133J46L</serial>
      <width>1200</width>
      <height>1920</height>
      <rate>60</rate>
      <x>1200</x>
      <y>0</y>
      <rotation>left</rotation>
      <reflect_x>no</reflect_x>
      <reflect_y>no</reflect_y>
      <primary>no</primary>
      <presentation>no</presentation>
    </output>
    <output name="DisplayPort-2">
      <vendor>DEL</vendor>
      <product>DELL U2410</product>
      <serial>C592M9CN2JLL</serial>
      <width>1200</width>
      <height>1920</height>
      <rate>60</rate>
      <x>2400</x>
      <y>0</y>
      <rotation>left</rotation>
      <reflect_x>no</reflect_x>
      <reflect_y>no</reflect_y>
      <primary>no</primary>
      <presentation>no</presentation>
    </output>
    <output name="DisplayPort-3">
      <vendor>DEL</vendor>
      <product>DELL 2001FP</product>
      <serial>C064645L1EVL </serial>
      <width>1200</width>
      <height>1600</height>
      <rate>60</rate>
      <x>3600</x>
      <y>0</y>
      <rotation>left</rotation>
      <reflect_x>no</reflect_x>
      <reflect_y>no</reflect_y>
      <primary>no</primary>
      <presentation>no</presentation>
    </output>
  </configuration>
</monitors>

This works fine in Fedora 21 (I haven't tried Fedora 22 yet, but I'm
willing to try).

In Fedora 23 with an X11 session, the displays are rotated correctly
and the mouse cursor functions (moves around) correctly on all
monitors.  You just can't click on anything or type anything.  If I
remove the monitors.xml, everything works correctly but of course the
displays aren't rotated (or placed correctly).