Re: Replacing Shotwell with gThumb or Gnome Photos for F24?

On Wed, 2015-11-25 at 10:10 -0800, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> From this comment[1], it seems Shotwell has been forked and the
> original
> upstream is no more. I tried gThumb but my concern is the lack of
> support for non-destructive editing method. In addition, Shotwell
> still
> has an outstanding bug[2] related to Facebook account affecting all
> distributions. As Design Suite maintainer using Workstation as a
> base, I
> think it will be time to reevaluate which actively maintained
> application should be included as default. I looked at Gnome Photos
> but
> it lacks support of sorting folders by date i.e (YYYY/MM/DD).
> Comments
> welcome.

Yes, Shotwell maintenance ended about half a year ago, after Yorba
fizzled out. I strongly support removing it with or without
replacement.

I would much rather ship gThumb than Shotwell; gThumb is great.

With my upstream GNOME hat on, our focus now is on promoting our
content apps, including GNOME Photos, which is a core app that we
intend distributions shipping GNOME to install by default. We don't
intend for gThumb to be a core app; that's a more advanced tool. So my
vote is for Photos, even though it's less mature.

We're going to have a content apps hackfest next week in Madrid; I will
mention your request for sorting options in Photos, and maybe it will
happen. (I'll myself be focused on Music, our Rhythmbox replacement,
since I have a lot of music and not a lot of photos.)

Michael