Re: Distribute R-core package with a launcher and appdata

El 15-09-2015 11:29, Richard Hughes escribió:
On 12 September 2015 at 05:09, Bastián Díaz
<diaz.bastian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
-Include a desktop launcher *.desktop for R (terminal=true)

I don't think the software center shows apps with terminal=true at the moment...

I could understand, but there are some applications of high popularity that would benefit the change.

In gnome-software working to promote appdata, but unfortunately only
consider applications with GUI and for good reason, but I think you can give
some exceptions like R. For example, Octave before its version 4.0 and
official GUI, was distributed with desktop launcher and now has appdata,
making it easy to install with gnome-software.

At the moment it's policy not to show terminal applications, otherwise
we open the floodgates for "applications" like mutt, vi, powertop,
etc.

These applications are commonly used by system administrators or used in servers. The last two have a GUI.

 I'm not saying those projects are not awesome, but the software
center story that we've got doesn't cope with them very well. I think
the best thing to do is talk to the designers and find a good way to
indicate these applications are terminal applications, and get some
guidance on how to decide what to include and what to exclude.

I do not think that all applications for terminal appears on gnome-software. It is best to pick a handful of them, so I proposed individually to R. I can not find a mailing list for gnome design, so I'll create a new report for improvement.

Cheers

--
Bastián Díaz