Re: E&S WG request for input on requirements for Fedora Developer Portal

On 07/21/2015 10:22 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
On 21 July 2015 at 18:10, Petr Hracek <phracek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Taylor,

On 07/20/2015 10:12 PM, Owen Taylor wrote:
On Mon, 2015-07-20 at 10:33 -0400, Jens Petersen wrote:
In the last Env & Stacks meeting last week there was discussion about
plans, direction, and content for the Fedora Developer Portal website
that is under construction.  I think the plan is make the E&S WG more
actively involved in overseeing the content on the Portal. Anyway as
part
of the discussion it was suggested by Langdon that it would be good
reach out to the WS WG for input on its requirements and suggestions
for the Developer Portal since one of the main targets of Fedora WS
is
developers.  Since I am on both WGs I offered to liase on this topic.

What kind of content, requirements or suggestions does the WS WG have
for the Developer Portal?
Hi Jens,

I looked through the wiki page, and had a few questions/comments:

   * Is the target was exclusively on using Fedora as a client machine,
or if it also is planned to cover using Mac/Windows to develop for
deployment?
Yeah good point. Main target of Fedora Developer Portal is to allow users to
use a features or projects who use Fedora.
Window no. We have no plan currently to support it.
If there is going to be a volunteer who creates a page for Mac it would be
awesome
But for Windows I think that it is not possible;)
Specifically for Linux container development, the combination of
Vagrant + VirtualBox + some of the tooling the Project Atomic folks
are putting together makes it feasible to have a cross-platform
development story. The Eclipse based tooling is also cross platform.

However, I don't think it makes sense to focus on that in the initial
iterations, although it may be a good thing to add later.
Not only container development. With upcoming changes to DevAssistant (client-server architecture, WebUI) we aim at using the server part in VM (Vagrant, preferably) and client being either served by that VM through WebUI or being just a thin client on the host (let's hope someone will pick it up and write clients for both Mac and Windows:). Then it should be easy to start development of (basically any) Linux project on non-Linux system in any language or any framework (well, as long as these have assistants available:) )

Cheers,
Vašek

   * For someone coming to the website, they shouldn't feel that they
have to choose a language, a framework, a database, a deployment
technology before they get started. This is likely to stop anybody but
the most confident and experienced developer dead in their tracks. It's
fine if there is information on the site about a wide range of topics,
but we can't be afraid to make specific recommendations and orient the
experience of coming to the site around those recommendations.
(Probably a small set of recommendations rather than a single one,
depending on what language, if any, the developer knows, and what they
want to develop.)
Thanks for this.
More information can be found on our GitHub
https://github.com/developer-portal/content

We would like to allow users e.g to try Vagrant/Docker/DevAssistant
and shows them how to install it and how to make their workstation suitable
for using or even developing.
I think there are other recommendations we can draw on to say "If you
don't have a preference, use this". Think of a decision tree like the
one I suggested for deployment technologies, where we ask users
questions they're likely to know the answer to, and suggest a suitable
tech stack. We can also fall back on existing technology
recommendations in the other WGs and Fedora Infrastructure.

Probably another good one to defer, though - while I think we will
want such a guide for the new deployment tools folks are working on,
for this initial iteration of the site I think we're wanting to
attract folks that are *already* developing with open source
programming languages, and show them how to use their existing
toolsets effectively on the Fedora, rather than specifically aiming to
help complete beginners choose a suitable tech stack.

Cheers,
Nick.

--

Architect - Senior Software Engineer