Re: Anaconda wishlist

On Fri, 2015-05-29 at 08:24 -0400, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> As mentioned by Rui, this wouldn't be necessary. This could also be
> used
> to remove the uninvited GeoIP check in anaconda itself. Setting the
> timezone
> would be done after asking the user whether the system can use
> geolocation.

OK, timezone belongs in g-i-s, agreed.

> It would be better for this to be done after the creation of the
> first user
> in gnome-initial-setup, so that we can have a useful default name for
> the
> computer:
> "Rupert Monkey's laptop"
> or
> "Bastien's desktop"
>
> (and the rough i18n that goes with it)

Agreed, we should just get rid of the network configuration spoke.

> There are 3 things to note here:
> - the anaconda setting changes the system configuration, thus the
> default
> layouts used in gdm.
> - we are in a live environment, where the user can change the current
> configuration
> through the Settings panel already. This should be exported to the
> installed
> system's configuration
> - anaconda's layout selection doesn't support IBus, which means it's
> inadequate
> as a user layout selection tool.
>
> I would:
> - make anaconda migrate the current settings to the installed system
> - make it possible to set IBus engines in the installed gdm's
> configuration

OK, OK... although I think it already picks up on keyboard layout if
set in System Settings.

> Only language selection should really be necessary in Anaconda, the
> keyboard
> layout can be inherited from the live environment. We could make sure
> to always
> show the language selector even if there's only one default language
> in the
> live environment (that's probably a one-liner in gnome-shell).

I don't think keyboard layout is any different from language selection.
You *can* set both in the live environment, but they're buried under
System Settings, not easy to find at all. And you can't install unless
you have these set properly. So either Anaconda needs to display them
both, or the live environment needs to display them both (in which case
they could be removed from Anaconda).

But I agree that there is just no point to keeping hub and spokes now
that we're going to request almost every spoke to be removed.

I will leave a few days to see if anyone objects, then post an updated
summary on the anaconda mailing list.

> I'd even go a bit further, in that we should have less moving parts
> in the disk
> selection. I personally find it easier to make room on the disk using
> Disks
> (available in the Live environment) and passing that to Anaconda, or
> having
> Anaconda use the old Linux installation, or having it use the whole
> disk.

I think "less moving parts" is a good goal, but it's too hazy a
requirement. Further discussion is needed here. I also see value in
separating out the disk selection changes from the changes to reduce
redundancy with g-i-s, since we can do one without the other.

Michael