Re: Summary of Reddit thread

On Tue, 07 Apr 2015 13:49:56 +0200, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 2015-04-07 at 05:42 -0400, Bastien Nocera wrote:
Browser embedded videos will either require Flash, or MPEG-4 codecs.
Chrome will have both of those, but not Firefox, nor Epiphany or
Chrome.

The number of websites using free codecs is unfortunately very low.

Well keep in mind, Firefox and Epiphany both support Flash if
installed with Adobe's RPM, and MPEG-4 if installed from rpmfusion.

MPEG-4 is actually almost simple to install -- if only the rpmfusion
web site was better.

I think we need to accept that our multimedia story will never be good
unless the user is able to discover and enable rpmfusion. We also need
to accept that legal doesn't want us helping the user find rpmfusion. I
don't see any way around this problem. :( But it would be really nice
if their website had a nice, simple "click here to enable multimedia"
button that would give you the RPM to enable; it's just too confusing
right now. There is a list of links and you're supposed to notice
"Enable RPM Fusion on your system" at the top of the list, but it's
hardly an eye-catching link.

Michael

It's easy if you know you want RPMfusion.
When I started using Fedora, it seemed infinitely strange to enable some random repository in my system to be able to play videos...