Re: frustrated with the state of linux accessibility

hi
You know, that's a fantastic idea. For the most part though,
accessibility just works. There are exceptions, but as long as you
follow the gtk standards, like providing labels for custom widgets,
making sure your button is really set as a button in gtk and doesn't
just draw an image of a button on screen or similar, orca and similar
just work. Gnome does have issues with unlabeled controls, mostly
buttons, and duplicate controlls where orca will read a control twice,
and it's usually the second instance of that control that's actually
sensitive and actionable. But it definitely cannot hurt to have an
accessibility rating for applications. There remain some serious
issues in some toolkits, such as wxgtk. List boxes in linux are not
presentable by orca. This is probably either a toolkit error or an
orca one that can be solved. Qt works for the most part. I would like
eventually, but am not holding my breath, for applications being run
using wine to be usable by orca. This would require some kind of
windows accessibility to linux accessibility translator or mapper.
LIke I said, I want only to be equal among sighted people. I don't
want special treatment. If you're designing a product or software,
just consider accessibility. It isn't magic or a hard thing to do,
it's just something that';s often not done by hardware and software
manufacturers. That said, linux is much much better at this than
windows, who leaves the blind people to their own devices when
installing stuff. There are actually driver install programs that are
inaccessible, so you can't even  read the thing that installs your
hardware drivers. Linux's device model is different, and superior imo
and doesn't require this
Thanks for reading
Kendell clark
Sent from Fedora GNU/Linux