Re: User doesn't get a fully localized system

On Mon, 2015-03-16 at 16:19 +0100, Jiri Eischmann wrote:

> I discussed this with Anaconda guys today and there are several
> possible options:
>
> 1. it's implemented in Anaconda as an additional spoke on the screen
> while the system is installed. The problem with this is that Live
> installer is designed not to require working connectivity. There is
> no way to set network up in Anaconda, you have to go to the network
> settings in the live session. A bit confusing for users.
>
> 2. it's implemented in FirstBoot as an additional spoke. Here you
> can already set up the network, so there are better chances users
> will have a working connectivity. The problem is that FirstBoot is
> not used by Fedora Workstation.
>
> 3. it's implemented in Initial Settings in GNOME where I think there
> is a screen to set up a network, too, so it can be placed right
> after this screen.
>
> 4. there is a service running on the background which checks if a
> complete localization is installed and if not and if there is a
> network connection set up it sends a notification that will
> encourage the user to install missing support, if he/she agrees it
> starts a PackageKit task.
>
> 5. applications themselves ask PackageKit to install required
> packages if they miss the localization. Something like codecs
> installation in Totem.
>
> Personally, I like the option #4 and #3 the most.
>
> Anyway, I'd be great to have an option to install missing/additional
> language support in the Region&Language tool in System Settings.
> Users may change their mind and want to use their language instead
> of English anytime later.

I don't think is generally worthwhile to break out applications
translations as subpackages (libreoffice may be a special case here).

I don't see why this needs to be a 'spoke' in either anaconda or
firstboot. After the user selects a language, it should check if there
are extra language-specific packages to install, and offer the user to
do so (or ask him to get on the network, if that is necessary).

Doing the same in gnome-initial-setup or the control-center is
conceivable too. I believe the i18n team has wanted this functionality
for a long time.